I'd have to ask what mode are you in, my experience with the K-x is it
does not have significant shutter lag except in LV mode (where the lag
is simply awful, LV is almost unusable on the K-x in my experience).
It does however have an AF system which struggles in low-light so if
you're shooting in AF-S your problem is most likely AF lag rather than
shutter lag since the camera is in Focus Priority mode.

One of the major reasons why I chose to sell off my Pentax gear and go
Sony was the issue of focus in low-light where I do much of my
shooting. The K-x had two issues in really low light, the AF is
useless in such situations and the viewfinder isn't quite up to
accurate focus in low light at f1.4-2. The G1, which I owned for about
a year and a half, had the opposite problem, focus was no issue in low
light but I ran out of shutter speed (the E-30 had the same problem as
the G1, a functional ISO limit around ISO 2500). Thankfully the A33
solves both problems as it's as easy to focus as the G1 in low light,
has much better AF in low light than the K-x (a real surprise, I
wasn't expecting much from the A33's AF system) and has nearly as good
high ISO performance as the K-x, allowing me to get reasonably high
shutter speeds in very low light.

Note the K-x significantly outperforms any 4/3rds camera in terms of
Dynamic Range and Sensitivity (it remains just about the best I've
seen in APS-C for both DR and high ISO performance). The E-5 should be
superior in pretty much every other regard except size.

-Adam

--
M. Adam Maas
http://www.mawz.ca