As naive as it may sound, I bought my Olympus E-1 (my first dSLR) based on its
(1) sturdiness [read: not a plastic body], and (2) LACK of a pop-up flash. I
had a pz1p fpr a while, and found the pop-up flash to be annoying when I was
just trying to grab a shot in lower light conditions and didn't have time to
make sure that the conditions didn't warrant a pop-up flash. Having used mostly
rangefinder cameras over the past 10 years, the new automation of dSLRs seemed
almost intrusive.

I have since gotten more facile with dSLR settings so that the popup flash is
less of an annoyance. I don't worry about the camera/lens being rainproof, but
do wonder if (on a hot humid summer day) if water is condensing IN my camera as
well as ON my camera.

Jeffery