On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 10:40 PM, Boris Liberman <bori...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> A pro grade camera is a camera built to different (higher) standards
>> of durability and robustness. It's designed to be able to take a
>> beating in adverse conditions and extended heavy use. Pentax has never
>> really made pro-grade SLRs in 35mm or digital, although their top of
>> the line comes close. Nikon's F line and D1, D2, D3 bodies are their
>> pro bodies, Canon's EOS-1v, 1d, etc are their pro bodies.
>
> Godfrey, for your kind of work - is it really necessary for your gear to be
> able to take a beating??? I am not implying a defense of Pentax or whatever.
> I am asking because I thought that you were not doing any kind of
> photography that can be potentially harmful to your equipment...

There's a difference between my personal street and fine art work ...
which is what I post on my blog and flickr, etc ... and the
photography I am doing on assignment, which I'm pushing hard to
expand. For me, what this pro-grade body nets as advantage (other than
its  improvements in image stabilization, viewfinder quality,
resolution, etc over my existing equipment, is it's responsiveness and
noise control. The last few gigs I did netted excellent photos for my
client, but I was definitely right at the edge of what I could push
the equipment to do. And there were a number of situations where I did
not obtain the shot *I* really wanted due to equipment limitations.

I needed a significant improvement in camera responsiveness and two
stops more sensitivity/dynamic range to obtain satisfactory overhead
room. This camera solves that problem with room to spare.

"... Equipment often get in the way of Photography. ..." has more than
one meaning. ;-)

--
Godfrey
  godfreydigiorgi.posterous.com