On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 4:04 PM, DagT <li...@thrane.name> wrote:
> Listening to them you would expect the pro cameras to be smaller than the
> Pentax bodies, but they are not. Why?

I guess that's the fundamental difference between us. I heard
different things when I listened to them.

> In addition they haven´t even tried to make compact lenses to their series
> comparable to the DA Limiteds.

That's not Olympus' thing. Although the 25/2.8 is quite small and
light, and a darn good performer for $230. The 35/3.5 Macro is a
superb lens, even better than the 25/2.8, and very small and light too
with 1:1 macro capability ... mine cost me $185 new.

>  I have been partially Pro, but I just don´t get the "pro argument". Who are
> these pros? Sports, features, studio or others? I have friends doing "pro"
> work with Canon 450D or 8"x10" cameras so I cannot understand this "pro"
> issue.

A pro grade camera has nothing to do with a person being a
professional photographer.

A pro grade camera is a camera built to different (higher) standards
of durability and robustness. It's designed to be able to take a
beating in adverse conditions and extended heavy use. Pentax has never
really made pro-grade SLRs in 35mm or digital, although their top of
the line comes close. Nikon's F line and D1, D2, D3 bodies are their
pro bodies, Canon's EOS-1v, 1d, etc are their pro bodies.

A professional photographer is someone who makes their income from
photography. They can use any camera they want as long as they deliver
the goods.

> That´s the point! Why bother? ...

I didn't make an issue of it, you did. I was just celebrating with
friends that I bought a new camera. I don't give a hoot what camera
you choose to use.

Besides, Olympus owners consider themselves outsiders too. Practically
anyone not using Canon or Nikon equipment is viewed as an outside.
Don't feel so special ... there are Sony, Olympus, Pentax, Sigma,
Samsung and Fuji owners all being outsiders.

> Personally I like being an outsider. I would hate dragging a large camera an
> lens, or an EVF camera with smaller lens, on my travels. I just hate going
> into a shop, a church or anything else first being noticed for the camera and
> then asked what I want. It is my way of working, I hate being noticed. It is
> as simple as that and the Olympus dslrs is not an option anymore.

Whether you are notices or not is more a matter of how you comport
yourself than what size or type of camera you are carrying. A person
skilled in staying unobtrusive stays unobtrusive whether they have a
point and shoot or a Gatling gun in their hands.

> It is not a problem for me, not a problem for you but possibly it indicates a
> niche for Pentax  because nobody else can give me the same options .-)

I'm glad you're happy with the gear you chose. I'm quite happy with
the gear I chose. ;-)

--
Godfrey
  godfreydigiorgi.posterous.com