I guess I'd want to know more about what camera features are most
important to your friend. I'm curious why she would go from a film SLR
to a P&S digital. Was the reason price? Size/convenience? Is she only
interested in digital on instagram or is she interested in making
prints of good shots (and then how large).

She clearly understands interchangable lenses and optical viewfinders
from the FTb. And she clearly can take pics from a small camera with
live view. So I have to believe that her biggest reason for upgrading
is image quality. I'd recommend she look at the Sony NEX 5TL. Same
sensor as in the K-5 Great reviews... still the No. 1 seller at
Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-NEX-5TL-Compact-Interchangeable-Digital/dp/B00ENZRP38/
You can also purchase it with small primes which turn it more into the
smaller profile for purse, etc. (if the zoom makes it too big)
She could even still use her Canon CD lenses with this highly reviewed
adapter on the NEX:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=1049193&gclid=CMeXuZj0zcUCFQoKaQoddLgAMw&Q=&is=REG&A=details

--
Life is too short to put up with bad bokeh.