I wonder if she wants an SLR because she had one, and she falls in the
age group for which the SLR was the best camera a typical consumer
would own.  That's fine if she really want one, but I'd have her read
this short article from Thom Hogan.

<http://www.dslrbodies.com/newsviews/where-were-headed.html>

As I get older I get tired of carrying my SLR and associated
equipment. A few weeks ago I bought the Sony RX100iii. It fits in my
pocket and does the majority of what I want to do. So far the bigger
cameras haven't been taken from the shelf.

I have a feeling this camera will do for anything that doesn't force
me to get out the tripod.  If I go through the trouble of taking a
tripod, I may as well grab the camera bag that has the SLR and lenses.
Same goes for lighting equipment. If I'm setting up a portrait shoot,
I'll use the D800 because it does such a good job of remotely
controlling the speedlights.

A quote from Hogan: "The DSLR comes out of the bag for: extreme wide
angle landscape, sports, and wildlife. That’s about it"

If someone wants a "good camera" and doesn't have a specific reason
for wanting an SLR, a camera like this is what I would recommend. Or
If I was going to by a camera for my adult kids, that was going to be
the "family" camera, it wouldn't be an SLR. It would be something like
one of these.

gs

George Sinos
www.GeorgesPhotos.net