Hi Gary R., List,

My aim was to draw on points that are developed in the context of the logical
theory for the sake of understanding how he might be using the terms
"firstness, secondness, thirdness" in the phenomenological theory.  For my
part, I take the aim of developing phenomenology as its own branch of
philosophical inquiry quite seriously.  As such, I said "in the first instance"
because that is how--historically speaking-- Peirce arrived at these notions.
He started from the side of a philosophical logic and was examining the ways
that various predicates can stand in different kinds of relations.  On my
reading of the development of his account of the categories, Peirce was working
at the level of phenomenology, logic and metaphysics from the very start (e.g.
in the Lowell Lectures and in New List).  Slowly, he gained a sense of the
importance of separating more clearly between the goals guiding each kind of
inquiry along with the methods that we should use in developing the respective
accounts of the phenomenological, logical and metaphysical categories.

When he finally decided to make phenomenology a major branch of philosophical
inquiry in its own right, he made it clear that phenomenology draws from both
mathematics and from logic.  When we are drawing from mathematics, it appears
that were developing the account of the categories "from the inside."  That is,
we are looking at examples of formal conceptions in math--such as that of
generating a number series or generating a line by moving a particle--and then
we are drawing on these conceptions for clarifying the formal elements that are
part of common experience concerning positive matters.  When we are coming at
phenomenology from the other direction and drawing from logic theory, we are
asking:  what elements in experience are necessary for the very possibility of
having signs that are significant and for drawing inferences that are valid?
We then ask--are these formal elements really found in our common experience?
If so, let us learn to see them more clearly in their many guises.

Let me add a bit more.  One reason we need a phenomenological theory is that,
for Peirce, as for other logicians of his generation, the science of logic
should be based on observations.  All of the observations are drawn from our
ordinary experience--including especially the phenomena associated with
self-control and the phenomena involved in evaluating arguments as valid or
invalid.  As such, we need to develop an account of the basic elements that are
an essential part of all of the phenomena we might observe.  The account of the
formal and material elements is designed to put us in a better position to
analyze the phenomena we observe for the sake of seeing more clearly what is
necessary, when it comes to forming hypotheses, to make sense of the phenomena
that are calling out for explanation.  Before drawing such inferences, we need
to correct for observational errors.

So, to offer an example, Augustus De Morgan, makes the following point in
Formal Logic, or, The Calculus of inference, necessary and probable.  The
question he is trying to answer in this chapter on probability is:  how much
confidence can we place in testimony provided by a number of witnesses?  Here
is what he says about the fit between his theory and the phenomena that are
part of our common experience:

The student of this subject is always struck by the frequency of the problems
in which the science confirms an ordinary notion of common life, or is
confirmed by it, according to his state of mind with respect to the whole
doctrine.  It is impossible to say that we a theory made to explain common
phenomena, and hence affording no reason for surprise that it does explain
them.  The first principles are too few and two (sic) simple, the train of
deductions ends in conclusions too remote.  I believe hundreds of cases might
be cited in which the results of this theory are found already established by
the common sense of mankind:  in many of them, the mathematical sciences were
not powerful enough to give the modes of calculation, when the principles of
the theory were first digested.

The conclusion we can draw from De Morgan's remark is, I think,  quite clear.
In the absence of a clear account of the phenomena we observe as part of our
common experience, the selection of the best logical theory will be
underdetermined.  What is more, we need to be careful not to draw on the same
phenomena we relied on in forming our hypotheses when we are testing those
hypotheses.  So, let's make sure we have an adequate theoretical account of the
the phenomena that are serving as the data for our theoretical inquiries.

--Jeff

Jeff Downard
Associate Professor
Department of Philosophy