Hi Clark,

". . . * Firstness* is the world of raw experience, ideas or possibility,
*secondness* the world                      (120115-1)
of reactions, brute force & actuality and *thirdness* the world of signs,
connections and power
(not necessarily mental unless one is careful what one means by that)."

(*1*)  I agree with you on the definition of these categories of Peirce.
We seem to disagree on how to assign these categories to the three worlds
of Burgin and the three roses of Scotus.

(*2*)  In principle, there are 6 (and only 6) ways of assigning the three
objects (whether words or roses) to the Peircean categories as shown in *Table
1.  *Although I adopted Possibility 1 in *Figure 1* of my PEIRCE-L post of
11/302015, I cannot rule out some of the other possibilities listed in *Table
1*.

*Table 1*.  Non-deterministic relation between triadic model of the worlds
and Peircean categories.

Possibilities

*Firstness*

*Secondness*

*Thirdness*

 Context or Field of Studies

1

S*

?

2

?

3

?

4

?

5

?

6

?

*S = World of structures
  P = Physical world
  M = Mental world

(*3*)  The non-determinism indicated in* Table 1* is frustrating if we
assume, whether correctly or not, that there should be only one unambiguous
assignment possible if our theories are right. Such an assumption may be
valid and future studies may indeed reveal an unambiguous categorial
assignment.  Alternatively, the non-determinism of *Table 1* may be real
and reflects a deep structure of reality as discussed below.

(*4*)  The non-determinism of *Table 1* reminded me of a similar
non-determinism in gauge field theories in physics.  Simply put

". . .  a *gauge theory* is a type of field theory
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field_theory_(physics)> in which the
Lagrangian <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagrangian_(field_theory)> is
                              (120115-2)
invariant <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invariant_(physics)> under a
continuous
group <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuous_group> of local
transformations"
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gauge_theory).

Replacing "Lagrangian" with "Peircean categories" and identify the 6
possibilities of *Table 1* with "local transformations"  in (1201156-2)
logically leads to

"A gauge theory may be said to apply to semiotics *qualitatively*, if the
Peircean ITR                        (120115-3)
(Irreducible Triadic Relation) remains invariant upon transforming the
nature of the
objects occupying the three positions in the *commutative triangle*, *Figure
1*"

                                   *  f*
*g*
              *Firstness* ----------------> *Secondness* ----------->
*Thirdness*
            (Real Rose)                       (Rose)
 (Mental Rose)
     [World of Structures]           [Physical World]          [Mental
World]

               ^

                     |_______________________________________|
                                                        *h*

*Figure 1.  *The Peircean ITR as the conserved property of semiotics (or
sign physics (?))
                 f = actualization; g = pattern formation; h = information
flow.

(*5*)  The validity of Statement (120115-3) seems partly supported by the
approximate symmetry that can be detected between particle physics and
semiotics as analyzed in *Table 1.*

*Table 1.*   “Generalized’  Gauge  Field theory (?)

Discipline

*Particle Physics*

*Semiotics* (Sign Physics ?)

Objects studied

nucleons (protons, neutrons)

Ideas (1ns, 2ns, & 3ns)*

Properties

angular momentum

Ordinality**

Conserved property

Isotopic spin, I

Cardinality or ITR***

Gauage Field Force

Strong force

'Mind force' (?)

*1ns = Firstness; 2ns = Secondness; 3ns = Thirdness.
**1ns is prerequisite for 2ns which is prerequisite for 3nd.
***ITR = Irreducible Triadic Relation, stating that the elements cannot be
reduced to two or one.

Again, if the content of *Table 1* turns out to be true in principle, one
'astounding' result seems to fall out of  the symmetry of *Table 1*  -- the
existence of what may be called the 'Mind Force' in analogy to the "Strong
Force" in atomic nuclei  (see the last row).

(*7*)  The 'Mind Force' postulated in *Table 1* operates not only in the
Mental World but also in the Physical World and the World of Structures
where the Principle of ITR operates.

(*8*)  It may be an exciting challenge to find out how the "mind force"
postulated in Table 1 is related to Peirce's "Mind" that operates
throughout the Universe:

"Thought is no necessarily connected with a brain.  It appears in the work
of bees, of crystals and          (120115-4)
throughout the purely physical world; and one can no more deny that it is
really there, than that the
colors, the shapes, etc. of objects are really there."  (CP 4.551)

I am not comfortable with (120115-4).  I would agree with Peirce if he
confines his "Mind" to those processes and structures  in the Universe that
embody ITR.

With all the best.

Sung

On Mon, Nov 30, 2015 at 1:10 PM, Clark Goble <cl...@lextek.com> wrote:

> On Nov 30, 2015, at 10:50 AM, Sungchul Ji <s...@rci.rutgers.edu> wrote:
>

>                                         *  f*
>  *g*
>               *Real Rose*  ----------------> *Rose * -----------> *Mental
> Rose*
>               (Firstness)                  (Secondness)
>  (Thirdness)
>      [World of Structures]         [Physical World]          [Mental World]
>                    ^
>                      |____________________________________|
>                                                        *h*
>

> Peirce’s ontology doesn’t quite follow that. Firstness is the world of raw
> experience, ideas or possibility, secondness the world of reactions, brute
> force & actuality and thirdness the world of signs, connections and power
> (not necessarily mental unless one is careful what one means by that). So
> depending upon what one means by structure you’d have that in the third
> universe.
>
> Again though one has to be careful with terminology and Peirce’s shifts
> around a bit over time.

Sungchul Ji, Ph.D.

Associate Professor of Pharmacology and Toxicology
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology
Ernest Mario School of Pharmacy
Rutgers University
Piscataway, N.J. 08855
732-445-4701