Dear Franklin, List members:

I left out a more fundamental part of the argument that I will lay out now. It
is basically a very simple argument, though perhaps it is a bit subtle. I left
it out because the argument is fairly well known to Peirce scholars It appears
in several places in slightly different forms in Peirce’s writings. I would
argue that it is very difficult if not impossible to accept many of Peirce’s
more systematic ideas without accepting this argument I lay out.

Peirce has a specific view of experience. Meaning has to be referenced to
something, and that something cannot be internal (mental in  one sense), or we
go in circles (which is acceptable to some philosophers, but not to Peirce).
Worse, from Peirce’s point of view, is that it fails the objectivity test.
Meaning has to have an objective basis or his realism has to be given up. Now
that there are experiences, including mental experiences, is objective, but
meaning cannot be referred ultimately to mental experiences alone without
making it depend on psychology rather than objective conditions. Other than for
logic, which has its own grounds for objectivity in things that are external,
the experience ultimately referred to has to be of the senses, roughly (I would
include emotions, which I see to have a propositional or cognitive component)
that also must have an external aspect in order to support objective
differences in meaning. Peirce resolves this by setting aside a class of
experiences that are of external things. The child, he says, learns to
recognize that not all things are under his control, but must be at least in
part caused by external influences, so some experience is composed of signs of
the external. This is a very early and necessary abduction. Membership in this
class of supposed externally based experiences (which Peirce often just
identifies as “experience”) is revisable on further evidence (there are
illusions, imposed experiences – by a demon in the most extreme case – and
dreams, and the rantings of madmen, just to use Descartes’ examples – though
Decartes saw their possibility as a reason for scepticism, but Peirce would
require an additional reason for doubt over the mere possibility – a “defeater”
in terms of contemporary pragmatist epistemology), but the basic way to check
membership is whether or not they are at least in part not under our control.
This needs to be tested, as we can be wrong about it in specific cases, but in
general (or we violate the defeater requirement).

Physicalism is rather hard to define, and there are a number of definitions
floating around the philosophy and scientific world. Quine defines the physical
as that which is accessible through the senses (not what physics tells us is
physical). This won’t quite do for Peirce (or me) since there are the
afore-mentioned sensory illusions, etc. What physics tells us is physical is a
good place to start, but of course physics has been wrong, so this is more of a
control than a criterion. I think it is safe to say, though, that everything
that science has been able to study effectively so far has a physical basis. I
would think that the physical has a number of signs, and that there is a
consilience that eventually leads to a clearer idea of what is physical. Peirce
was, in fact, a kind of idealist (the objective kind, for one thing), so there
is presumably no contradiction  between his views about experience, and the
physical, and at least one form of idealism. I don’t share Peirce’s idealism,
but that is neither here nor there; it is not relevant to Peirce’s argument
that I have reconstructed here. All thought is in signs. Some thoughts (or
mental experiences, if you want) are of external things. Other than logical,
mathematical, and the like, being external is to be physical at the least. In
order to make our ideas clear we need to make reference to this external
component, on pain of subjectivism, psychologism, and making distinctions in
thoughts that have no distinction in their objects. So Peirce’s prope-postivism
also takes us back to the Pragmatic Maxim, that thought is all in signs, and
his notion of the basis of experience.

Obviously there are some assumptions here, and one could reject any one of them
(accept subjectivism, or psychologism, or other forms of antirealism, as
examples), which many philosophers do. But the assumptions are made deeply in
Peirce’s philosophy. I think he was right about this.

I could give a bunch of references to Peirce’s writings that support my
interpretation, but this is long enough already and I have to go shopping. I
hope it is at least close to sufficient to respond to your worry.

John Collier
Professor Emeritus, UKZN
http://web.ncf.ca/collier