From: Jon Alan Schmidt [mailto:jonalanschm...@gmail.com]
Sent: 23-Jan-17 21:01
To: Helmut Raulien <h.raul...@gmx.de>
Cc: kirst...@saunalahti.fi; peirce-l@list.iupui.edu
Subject: Re: Re: [PEIRCE-L] Universal/General/Continuous and
Particular//Singular/Individual

Helmut, List:

Peirce had a tendency, especially late in his life, to label any philosophical
stance with which he disagreed as "nominalistic."  However, my understanding is
that the fundamental issue was (and presumably still is) whether there are any
real generals--or as Peirce once put it, any real continua.  This includes both
qualities (1ns) and habits (3ns); i.e., both "may-bes" and "would-bes."  Peirce
was especially concerned about any approach that would posit something as real
yet incognizable, or as inexplicable; he saw both of these moves as blocking
the way of inquiry.  If all objects of cognition are general, but no generals
are real, then we can have no knowledge of anything real.  If there are no real
laws of nature, then predictable regularities are just brute facts.