From: Jon Alan Schmidt [mailto:jonalanschm...@gmail.com]
Sent: 24-Jan-17 11:09
To: Gary Fuhrman <g...@gnusystems.ca>
Cc: peirce-l@list.iupui.edu
Subject: Re: Re: [PEIRCE-L] Universal/General/Continuous and
Particular//Singular/Individual

Gary F., List:

I had in mind Peirce's contention that the absolute individual--something
determinate in every conceivable respect--is an ideal limit, rather than a
reality.

CSP:  The logical atom, or term not capable of logical division, must be one of
which every predicate may be universally affirmed or denied ... Such a term can
be realized neither in thought nor in sense ... A logical atom, then, like a
point in space, would involve for its precise determination an endless process.
We can only say, in a general way, that a term, however determinate, may be
made more determinate still, but not that it can be made absolutely determinate
... as those who have used the word individual have not been aware that
absolute individuality is merely ideal, it has come to be used in a more
general sense. (CP 3.93; 1870)

CSP:  The absolute individual can not only not be realized in sense or thought,
but cannot exist, properly speaking. For whatever lasts for any time, however
short, is capable of logical division, because in that time it will undergo
some change in its relations. But what does not exist for any time, however
short, does not exist at all. All, therefore, that we perceive or think, or
that exists, is general. So far there is truth in the doctrine of scholastic
realism. But all that exists is infinitely determinate, and the infinitely
determinate is the absolutely individual. This seems paradoxical, but the
contradiction is easily resolved. That which exists is the object of a true
conception. This conception may be made more determinate than any assignable
conception; and therefore it is never so determinate that it is capable of no
further determination. (CP 3.93fn, emphasis added; 1870)

The first bolded sentence affirms that every object of cognition is general to
some degree.  As you wrote in chapter 4 of Turning Signs, "All concepts are
general – that is, every concept is a sign applicable to many individual
instances or members – but some are more general than others"
(http://www.gnusystems.ca/TS/bdy.htm).  If all concepts are general
(legisigns/types), then all of their objects must also be general (collectives)
in accordance with the rule of determination (EP 2:481; 1908).  The second
bolded sentence explains in what sense "the totality of all real objects" is
singular; it is "infinitely determinate," but this means that any assignable
(i.e., actual) conception is always capable of further determination--again,
general to some degree.

Regards,

Jon

On Tue, Jan 24, 2017 at 9:07 AM, <g...@gnusystems.ca