Gary F., List:

I acknowledge that I may be confused here, but how can a sign that is
general have an object that is *not *general?  My understanding is that all
concepts are legisigns/types, which requires that all of their objects are
collectives.  Are you suggesting that some concepts are qualisigns/marks or
sinsigns/tokens?  According to Peirce, the Universe of Necessitants
"includes whatever we can know by logically valid reasoning" (EP 2:479;
1908).  I take this as encompassing all real objects of concepts, since
Peirce held that there is nothing real that we cannot (in principle) come
to know.  Aaron Bruce Wilson makes a similar point in his recent book,
*Peirce's
Empiricism:  Its Roots and Its Originality*.

ABW:  ... if knowledge of reality is possible, then there must be real
generals.  [Peirce] argues:  "[S]ince no cognition of ours is absolutely
determinate, generals must have a real existence" (5.312/W2:239).  By "no
cognition of ours is absolutely determinate" I take him to mean that no *object
of cognition* is absolutely determinate ... Peirce argues that we can
cognize or represent only things possessing some indeterminate qualities
because if one were to cognize something determinate in *every* respect,
one would "have the material in each such representation for an infinite
amount of conscious cognition, which we yet never become aware of"
(5.305/W2:236).  For any given property, it seems that there is always some
further property that is a further determination of it ... At some point,
our minds simply fail to be powerful enough to represent any further
determination, and must leave some property indeterminate ... either the
properties of objects that we actually perceive are *not* real--and we have
no empirical knowledge of reality--or they are *real indeterminate
properties* or qualities and, thus, real generals. (pp. 63-64)

Regards,

Jon