}JAS, list

        I wasn't referring at all to the difference between reality and
existence - and as I said in my post, I was indeed talking about
Thirdness as mediation in a Legisign role. Obviously, then, I agree
that the Representamen in a mode of Thirdness within the triadic
semiosic process does not 'exist but governs existents'....So- I'm
unsure of the reason for your comment.

        With reference to your problem with my use of the word
'interaction', which you confine to a mode of Secondness - I guess
we'll just have to each agree to differ in our use of the word. I
don't agree that it implies that the "Type exists apart from its
Tokens'. My view is that both are informationally functional and
interact informationally - and this doesn't imply a separate
individual existence for each. Informational action between
information encoded as a general and information encoded as a
particular is, in my view, quite possible.

        Edwina
 On Thu 09/08/18  9:11 AM , Jon Alan Schmidt jonalanschm...@gmail.com
sent:
 Edwina, List:
 I suppose we can say that a Type depends on its Tokens for its
existence, but certainly not for its Reality, because the mode of
Being of a Type is not reaction (2ns) but mediation (3ns).
Consequently, I still think we should avoid saying that a Type
"interacts" with its Tokens, because this implies that the Type
exists apart from its Tokens, such that it can react with them.  As
the quote below from Peirce states, a Type "does not exist but
governs existents" (CP 8.313; 1905, emphasis added); the Sign's
unchanging ideal Final Interpretant logically/semiotically determines
(constrains) its various actual Dynamic Interpretants, not the other
way around.
 Regards,
Jon Alan Schmidt - Olathe, Kansas, USAProfessional Engineer, Amateur
Philosopher, Lutheran Layman www.LinkedIn.com/in/JonAlanSchmidt [1] -
twitter.com/JonAlanSchmidt [2]