Edwina, List:

ET:  I acknowledge your specification of terms - though I continue to
differentiate, terminologically, between the Sign [IO-R-II] and the
Representamen and think it a rather important distinction.

Understood, although we should also acknowledge that this is not a
distinction that Peirce ever made in that specific way.

ET:  ... what actually happens when a DI is in a mode of 1ns, or 2ns, or
3ns - never mind the term - I want to know the actual pragmatic result.

According to Peirce (cf. CP 4.536; 1906), the DI is the *actual *effect
that an *individual *Instance of a Sign produces by determining an
interpreting Quasi-mind to a feeling (1ns), to an exertion (2ns), or to
another Sign-Replica (3ns).

ET:  What kind of existential actuality is there - when some thing is
functioning without any 3ns, or without any 2ns or even - pure 1ns?

Nothing ever *actually *functions without exhibiting aspects of all three
Categories.  We can only distinguish them *analytically*, and must always
do so for a particular *purpose*.  Since our purposes are different, it is
not surprising that our analyses are different.  My concern has been and
remains to be faithful to Peirce's usage of terminology as we proceed with
such efforts.

Regards,

Jon S.