Jeff, list

        A very interesting post - I have time now for only a few perhaps
sidelining comments.
        1] I'm pleased that you refer to both the representamen and the
relation between it and the DO, and between it and the interpretants.
Peirce himself uses the term of 'relation' [see 8.335, 337] - and I
use the term though I've often been chastised on this list for so
doing, as I've been told that there is ''no such thing and the
correct term is 'correlate'. A relation, to me, is the correct term,
as it suggests a deeper interaction than a mere correlate.
        2] I obviously agree with the suggestion that the definition of a
Sign can't be restricted to only those that include a Representamen
as a Legisign. The power of semiosis as an adaptive and evolutionary
pragmatic function is that it operates when a system is developing
generals [before they are even functioning as such] and operates when
a system is entropically changing its nature [outside of the
constraints of generals].
        3] Accidents or freedom or deviations-from-the-norm are, I think,
vital in a complex adaptive system [CAS]- and, my view is that
semiosis is an integral agent in a CAS.
        Edwina
 On Thu 09/08/18 12:38 PM , Jeffrey Brian Downard
jeffrey.down...@nau.edu sent:
        Jon S, Gary R, Gary F, List,
        It appears that I may be missing something when it comes to
understanding the suggestion Jon S is making with respect to
interpreting the claim that "a  sign is not a real thing" (EP 2:303;
1904). As such, let me raise some straightforward questions about the
thesis that Peirce revised his definition of the sign in the  hopes of
getting clearer about the suggestion. For the sake of generalizing the
point, let's state it in the following way:  "all signs have the
character of a general rule, and only things that have the character
of a general rule are signs."
        1.  Is the interpretative hypothesis being restricted only to the
classification  of signs based on the manner of the apprehension of
the sign itself? That is, does it apply only to representamens that
are apprehended as general types?
        2. Or, should one go further and say that the interpretative
hypothesis applies to other ways of classifying signs, including:

        (a) the nature of the dynamical object,

        (b) the nature of the dynamical interpretant,

        (c) the relation that holds between the representamen and the
dynamical object,

        (d) the relation that holds between the representamen and the final
interpretant.
        If the interpretative hypothesis is applied across the board to the
10 respects in which signs are being classified in the mature theory
(circa the later letters to Lady Welby),  then it would appear that
there is really only one class of signs, all of which have the
following character:  copulative, relative, collective, type, usual,
indicative, logical, symbolic, argument, form. This is at odds with
Peirce's general approach in his  later writings in semiotics, which
is to provide a classification of 66 different natural classes of
signs.
        If the interpretative hypothesis is restricted in some way, such as
to the manner in which the representamen is apprehended and to the
relation that holds between the representamen  and the dynamical
object, then all signs are symbolic types, but (admittedly) there
would be several classes of such signs. I don't see a reason to
restrict the application of the interpretative hypothesis to these
two respects without making it seem like  an arbitrary restriction.
What is more, the number of different classes of signs--while larger
than one--still seems unduly restricted as an interpretation of
Peirce's late writings in semiotics.
        Having raised these questions about the apparent lack of fit between
the interpretative hypothesis and the character of Peirce's mature
classification of 66 different classes  of signs, let me make a quick
reply to the general suggestion that only representamens that are
symbolic are really signs, because all signs must be related to their
dynamical objects via  some general rule that governs the relation.
Consider cases involving what might be called an "accidental index."
Here is one that I have fabricated. Suppose a person is walking down
the sidewalk and a bird dropping lands on his right shoulder. As he
stops  to see what has happened, he notices a bicyclist veering out
of control and he sees that the bicyclist has just missed him--and
only because he had stopped to take a look. To the extent that the
bird's dropping did draw his attention to his good fortune in
stopping just in time to be missed by the bike, is it an accidental
indexical sign?
        Let's take the example a step further and suppose that the fortunate
event had such an impact on this fellow that in future instances when
a bird dropping landed on his shoulder,  he would stop and look for
bicyclists--even if only to chuckle for a moment in memory of his
past good luck. Is the bird dropping now something of an indexical
legisign (a general type of sign) for this fellow, even if it is an
erroneous sign in some respects?
        I raise this somewhat fanciful example because Peirce clearly holds
that most of the relations that hold between the facts in this world
are, to some degree, accidental in  character. This is true even if
there is much that is governed by general laws. As such, I'm
wondering about the role of accidents in the semiotic
theory--especially when it comes to noticing surprising phenomena
that are more accidental in character.
        Yours,
        Jeff
    Jeffrey Downard