Jon, list,

Jon wrote:

I am curious to learn exactly how you . . . would define panentheism in
this context, as contrasted with theism, and then attempt to revise the
major premise accordingly in order to obtain a compatible conclusion.
Peirce explicitly described the Object as "something external to and
independent of the sign" . . ., rather than something *greater than *but
still somehow *inclusive of *the Sign; and he also stated plainly, "In its
relation to the Object, the Sign is passive ... the Object remaining
unaffected". . .

One has at least to admit, I think, in positing the Universe as Sign
(Symbol) and God as the Object of that Sign, that both are *wholly* unique,
that they are atypical, even peculiar among *all* other Signs and Objects:
that they are, indeed, sui generis both in themselves, so to speak, and in
their relationship.

As for *panentheism*, it is generally held that it is an attempt to
avoid *separating
*God from a (created) universe (as theism does) while at the same time not
*identifying* God with the universe (pantheism). Pan*en*theism, as you
know, holds that God not only *pervades* the cosmos and all that this
universe includes and involves, but also *transcends* it in the sense of
simultaneously being beyond space and time.

[In my view it is *possible *that the God of *all possible Universes* this
Cosmos is not necessarily to be identified with the *God of our Universe*.
I'll admit, however, that that sounds a bit odd even to me; yet I've been
entertaining the idea for many years now (this is not, btw, an argument for
the multi-universe theories prevalent in our time)].

JAS: Frankly, I am seeking not only to argue for Peirce's views about God,
but also to demonstrate that his views about Signs and the Universe
*warranted *those views about God--perhaps even *required *them.

I agree with you that at first blush that Peirce's views about Signs and
the Universe "warrant, perhaps even require" something like the theistic
view you've been arguing for. Yet, while I think the pantheistic view has
been generally debunked, perhaps the panentheistic notion that God creates
but *also* transcends space and time can help in your "attempt to revise
the major premise accordingly in order to obtain a compatible conclusion."

Finally, in my view, historically and to this day, our idea of God has been
far too small, far too limited, and often dogmatic and doctrinaire,
striking some (but not all) scientists as at least naive and typically
incompatible with science. I think these limited views of God have in ways
contributed to many of the "wicked problems" of our world, not the least of
which is the chasm that has been developing for centuries between science
and religion. It should be noted, however, that science, at least as it has
led to the development of socially and environmentally problematic
technologies (for example, gun powder, fossil fuels, Facebook), has itself
contributed to the emergence of a number of horrifying"wicked problems.

I believe that Peirce's science, phenomenology, logic as semeiotic,
cosmology, scientific metaphysics, and theological insights might in time
help us to bridge the gap between religion and science, perhaps to finally
contribute evenkmj to solving some of those "wicked problems."

Best,

Gary

*Gary Richmond*
*Philosophy and Critical Thinking*