}Gary R

        1] Just a comment on your view of the role of science and religion
in a society.

        I don't agree that the cause of the 'ills' of society is a 'limited
view of god' or a chasm between science and religion. Such a
viewpoint suggests that atheism, my view, 'contributes to the ills of
society' - and of course I wouldn't agree with that.

        Religion, of any type, is a belief system. You either believe in it
- or not. There is no evidence. Its axioms are infallible and outside
of debate. Science is subject to empirical objective and repeatable
evidence - and its axioms are fallible.

        I don't see how anything can 'bridge this gap'.

        I think that the ills of society are caused by the human
psychological nature - nothing to do with either religion or science
and following either will not change the effects of a bad
psychological nature. That is - the 'deadly sins' of greed, lust,
pride , envy, gluttony, wrath and sloth are psychological and can
only be dealt with by deliberate personal reasoning and action.
Neither science nor religion plays any role.

        And therefore - nothing to do with gunpowder, fossil fuels or
Facebook. If mankind didn't have gunpowder - he's use spears, arrows
and poisons...to deal with his greed, envy, wrath etc. Fossil fuels
have enabled the growth of technologies that have benefited mankind -
from medical care, to heating and cooling our homes, to better
sanitation and health and water supplies, to enabling more people to
be provided with food and care, and travel and so on. As for Facebook
- no comment...other than gossip is gossip.

        2] I will not get into any discussion about JAS's view of god and
Peirce - since I disagree with his interpretation and consider that
his own personal theism plays a large role in that outline.

        My caution is that semiosis is a rational action, an action, as
Peirce said, of Mind - and we should be careful how we define Mind.

        Edwina
 On Sat 02/02/19 11:54 PM , Gary Richmond gary.richm...@gmail.com
sent:
 Jon, list,
 Jon wrote:I am curious to learn exactly how you . . . would define
panentheism in this context, as contrasted with theism, and then
attempt to revise the major premise accordingly in order to obtain a
compatible conclusion.  Peirce explicitly described the Object as
"something external to and independent of the sign" . . ., rather
than something greater than but still somehow inclusive of the Sign;
and he also stated plainly, "In its relation to the Object, the Sign
is passive ... the Object remaining unaffected". . .
 One has at least to admit, I think, in positing the Universe as Sign
(Symbol) and God as the Object of that Sign, that both are wholly
unique, that they are atypical, even peculiar among all other Signs
and Objects: that they are, indeed, sui generis both in themselves,
so to speak, and in their relationship.
  As for panentheism, it is generally held that it is an attempt to
avoid separating God from a (created) universe (as theism does) while
at the same time not identifying God with the universe (pantheism).
Panentheism, as you know, holds that God not only pervades the cosmos
and all that this universe includes and involves, but also transcends
it in the sense of simultaneously being beyond space and time.
  [In my view it is possible that the God of all possible Universes
this Cosmos is not necessarily to be identified with the God of our
Universe. I'll admit, however, that that sounds a bit odd even to me;
yet I've been entertaining the idea for many years now (this is not,
btw, an argument for the multi-universe theories prevalent in our
time)].
  JAS: Frankly, I am seeking not only to argue for Peirce's views
about God, but also to demonstrate that his views about Signs and the
Universe warranted those views about God--perhaps even  required them.
 I agree with you that at first blush that Peirce's views about Signs
and the Universe "warrant, perhaps even require" something like the
theistic view you've been arguing for. Yet, while I think the
pantheistic view has been generally debunked, perhaps the
panentheistic notion that God creates but  also transcends space and
time can help in your "attempt to revise the major premise
accordingly in order to obtain a compatible conclusion."
 Finally, in my view, historically and to this day, our idea of God
has been far too small, far too limited, and often dogmatic and
doctrinaire, striking some (but not all) scientists as at least naive
and typically incompatible with science. I think these limited views
of God have in ways contributed to many of the "wicked problems" of
our world, not the least of which is the chasm that has been
developing for centuries between science and religion. It should be
noted, however, that science, at least as it has led to the
development of socially and environmentally problematic technologies
(for example, gun powder, fossil fuels, Facebook), has itself
contributed to the emergence of a number of horrifying"wicked
problems.
 I believe that Peirce's science, phenomenology, logic as semeiotic,
cosmology, scientific metaphysics, and theological insights might in
time help us to bridge the gap between religion and science, perhaps
to finally contribute evenkmj to solving some of those "wicked
problems."
 Best,
 Gary
 Gary Richmond
 Philosophy and Critical ThinkingCommunication StudiesLaGuardia
College of the City University of New York 718 482-5690