On Feb 3, 2019, at 3:55 PM, Jon Alan Schmidt <jonalanschm...@gmail.com> wrote:

> My argument is deductively valid, so in order to disagree with its
> conclusion, one must also disagree with at least one of its premises.  With
> which of those premises do you specifically disagree, and why?

Jon, here's my 2 cents.

I don't think your inclusion of "every" in your major premise, "every Sign is
determined by an Object other than itself," can possibly have a shred of
inductive support. That is, I think your major premise is a mere hypothesis.

I wonder if your major premise is analogous to this: "Every point making a
black dot is black." Here I'm referring to a black area on an otherwise white
plane. According to bivalent logic it is either true or false that a given
point making up the black dot is blackā€”and we'd have to say "true." But, Peirce
discovered tri-valent logic by wondering about the color of the outer
borderline of the dot separating the black dot from the white surroundings, and
determined that, since no point in the line can be half black and half white,
and since you can't butt two points up together (one point in the white line
surrounding the dot and the other point at the outer black line of the dot
abutting the white line) with no room in between, the borderline's color must
be indeterminate. So, the logic by which everyone thought the major premise,
"every point making a black dot is black", was secure, was in fact not
applicable to that outer edge, and therefore the inclusion of "every" is
specious. I think that it may be, by analogy, that the logic by which you think
the major premise, "every Sign is determined by an Object other than itself",
is secure, is likewise not applicable to your task. I can accept this revision:
"every Sign save the universe-as-a-whole is determined by an Object other than
itself," but that's not useful for your task.

The mere possibility that your major premise, "Every Sign is determined by an
Object other than itself", is analogous to this major premise, "Every point
making a black dot is black", means that your major premise is a mere
hypothesis. It's not inductively supported because you can't possibly assign a
probability to the status of the analogy, for example, "the probably that the
analogy holds is 25%." It would be like determining the color content of beans
in a bag after randomly sampling a percentage of beans from all but the bottom
layer of the bag. The probability that you assign to your induction doesn't
apply to the contents of the whole bag but only to the area from which you were
capable of sampling. If you pulled all white beans, the statement, "all the
beans in the bag are white", must still be treated as a hypothesis. (I'm not
considering that you have a clue as to how the beans got into the bag, as that
would be useful information; all that you could include in your induction about
how the universe got here are further hypotheses.)

A valid syllogism that has a hypothetical major premise has a hypothetical
conclusion. So your deduction begs the question: Can the reality of God be
logically supported?

Matt