Gary R., List:

GR:  One has at least to admit, I think, in positing the Universe as Sign
(Symbol) and God as the Object of that Sign, that both are wholly unique,
that they are atypical, even peculiar among all other Signs and Objects:
that they are, indeed, sui generis both in themselves, so to speak, and in
their relationship.

I agree.  As Aquinas also recognized, all our language about God is
necessarily *analogical *to some degree.

GR:  As for *panentheism*, it is generally held that it is an attempt to
avoid *separating *God from a (created) universe (as theism does) while at
the same time not *identifying* God with the universe (pantheism).
Pan*en*theism,
as you know, holds that God not only *pervades* the cosmos and all that
this universe includes and involves, but also *transcends* it in the sense
of simultaneously being beyond space and time.

Yes, but if we agree that Peirce considered the Universe to be a Sign, then
I still do not see how panentheism can be reconciled with his explicit
descriptions of the Object as *external *to, *independent *of, and *unaffected
*by the Sign.

GR:  ... perhaps the panentheistic notion that God creates but *also*
transcends
space and time can help in your "attempt to revise the major premise
accordingly in order to obtain a compatible conclusion."

That burden must be borne by a panentheist, or at least someone who wants
to classify Peirce as a panentheist.  The latter task is made even more
difficult--impossible, in my view--by Peirce's very explicit statements to
the contrary in several early drafts for "A Neglected Argument."

CSP:  … Who, out of Nothing, less than a blank, is creating all three
Universes of experience. I do *not *mean, then, a "soul of the World" or an
intelligence is "immanent" in Nature, but is the Creator of the three
Universes of minds, of matter, and of ideal possibilities, and of
everything in them. (R 843:11[1])

CSP:  Indeed, meaning by "God," as throughout this paper will be meant, the
Being whose Attributes are, in the main, those usually ascribed to Him,
Omniscience, Omnipotence, Infinite Benignity, a Being *not *"immanent in"
the Universes of Matter, Mind, and Ideas, but the Sole Creator of every
content of them without exception … (R 843:18&20[1-2])

CSP:  But I had better add that I do *not *mean by God a being merely
"immanent in Nature," but I mean that Being who has created every content
of the world of ideal possibilities, of the world of physical facts, and
the world of all minds, without any exception whatever. (R 843:25[4])

In all three cases, the emphasis on "not" is in the original manuscript.