Edwina, List:

ET:  Religion, of any type, is a belief system. You either believe in it -
or not. There is no evidence. Its axioms are infallible and outside of
debate. Science is subject to empirical objective and repeatable evidence -
and its axioms are fallible.

This comparison is a caricature, at best; and in any case, what is claimed
here about religion applies equally to atheism.  The issue is not an *absence
*of evidence, but different *evaluations *of the evidence.  Each of us has
a belief system--a worldview--that governs how we understand the Universe
and go about living our lives accordingly (belief = habit).  Changing from
one worldview to another is *possible*, but always requires some kind of
*conversion*--the abandonment of one set of axioms for another.

CSP:  We must begin with all the prejudices which we actually have when we
enter upon the study of philosophy. These prejudices are not to be
dispelled by a maxim, for they are things which it does not occur to us *can
*be questioned ... A person may, it is true, in the course of his studies,
find reason to doubt what he began by believing; but in that case he doubts
because he has a positive reason for it ... (CP 5.265, EP 1:29; 1868)

What Peirce elsewhere called "the Outward Clash" is sometimes sufficient to
bring this about--the realization that some of our core beliefs are *false*,
based on their incompatibility with our observations and experiences.  One
of his great insights was that the scientific method is how we *all *go
about testing and revising our beliefs, even the most mundane among them;
but we generally do so in ways that are not nearly as *logically rigorous*
as science itself typically demands.

ET:  I will not get into any discussion about JAS's view of god and Peirce
- since I disagree with his interpretation and consider that his
own personal theism plays a large role in that outline.

My argument is deductively valid, so in order to disagree with its
conclusion, one must also disagree with at least one of its premises.  With
which of those premises do you specifically disagree, and why?  In
addition, please elaborate on the "large role" that you consider my
personal theism to be playing here.  Is it causing me to misrepresent
something?  If so, what?  Finally, are you suggesting that your own
personal atheism somehow plays no role whatsoever in your interpretation of
Peirce?