Hi Stef,

We had a thread on that two months ago, and it is still waiting for your
answer. I made concrete proposals on which bindings can work. It would be more
constructive to focus on those details (see more below).

First, one thing should get clarified. The case in which someone wants to print
and persist inline the result is an edge case. For example, it happens when you
want to write tests to document how the code is working currently. The typical
case for using print-it is to get a sneak peak of what the object is and in
this case, the requirement is specifically to not change the current code
(especially when you are debugging you do not want to get the code dirty).

That is why we made the default printing not affect the text editor, and this
feature is around since almost 2 years and, except of you, there was no other
complain.

But, to come back to the concrete solution, as I mentioned before, I do agree
that what you mention should be a supported use case. The only question is how
to do it. So, let’s focus on that please.

One solution would be to have a different first level keybinding directly in
the text editor, but that would not be a good idea because that space is
already overloaded with too many key bindings, and this becomes a problem
especially when you place an editor inside a larger tool (like a debugger) and
you run out of available key bindings for other actions.

So, the proposals I had was like this:

Cmd+p ==> the print-it popup
- Enter ==> add as a comment
- Shift+Enter ==> add as plain text
- Cmd+v ==> add as plain text (this would not affect the text that was copied
to clipboard)

Another option would be to change the meaning of the current Enter:

Cmd+p ==> the print-it popup
- Enter ==> add as a plain text
- Shift+Enter ==> add as comment

What do you think?