On 8/7/16 6:16 AM, Tudor Girba wrote:
Hi Stef,

That is why we made the default printing not affect the text editor, and this
feature is around since almost 2 years and, except of you, there was no other
complain.

I believe that this is a logical fallacy ... many developers are too busy actually trying to do work with these tools and don't have time or inclination to get involved in an argument :)

There are a number of odd, awkward, hidden, "old way does not work anymore" things that I am running into as I have just been using Pharo5.0 for a couple of months ... I understand that when the GUI changes one must give it a little bit of time to "settle in" and see if my annoyance is due to the fact that things have changed or if the "old way was better" ...

I don't like the funky popup prints either --- they often obscure the underlying text and when I do something to see the underlying text I lose the printout --- occasionally it is useful as a preview but that's not the only use case .. often the result is what I want ...

But I am trying to do real work and I really don't have the time to get into an embroiled argument over things so far I feel less productive (the debugger buttons are a real annoyance) but perhaps with practice and patience I will eventually see the light of putting heavily used menu items off in a corner ...

BTW, I've basically given up on using browser shortcuts altogether ... I am assuming that the shortcuts will be changing yet again in 6.0 so I'm not going to try to memorize shortcuts that will be changing every 6 months :)

While I am complaining --- is there a way to be able to change the width of the inspector panes in a debugger? I'm almost never able to see what I want to see in the inspector panes because they aren't wide enough and unlike every other pane in the universe, I can't grab the pane and change its width ... I'm sure you have a good argument for why it can't be moved --- but that doesn't stop me from being annoyed ...

Optimized code is often uglier than the cleanly crafted beautiful code that runs too damn slow ...

I could go on and on, but I'm sure you've good reasons for all of the the things that you have changed and this isn't the only GUI in the world that is annoying to use :)

Remember that I am still in the phase of "give it a little bit of time to "settle in" and see if my annoyance is due to the fact that things have changed or if the "old way was better" ... "

Dale