And for more testimonies, sinse i fear im getting absolutely no credit
for having any knowledge of mysql and php.. :P  (i say that in jest of
coarse)
search this in google and see how many people fixed the very problem by
disabling or adjusting the firewall.

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=mysql+firewall+localhost&btnG=Search&meta=

Cheers, and good luck

Jason