There is an issue with sp2 and loopback, you can argue all you like, but
many have had this problem, and many have resolved it. Mysql will not
connect through udp, it will use tcp.  If you supply a hostname in your
connect function, it will use tcpip to connect over a port, if oyu dont
supply a hostname, or i beleive put a '.' in its place, it will attempt
to connect through a named pipe which doesnt use the network.  In the
time you spend writing this email, you could have attemped a suggested
solution.

A little more acceptance to help would gain a lot more respect from me,
not that you probably care about others respect.

And for further note, for the sake of discussion, as you have mentioned
to me on a certain forum.  A firewall can absolutely interfere with a
connection to mysql even if you are using localhost, if, and only if,
that connection is being done over tcpip, which in unix, is rarely, but
in windows, is not all that rare.

Jason