gharris999;475624 Wrote:
> Actually, I'm on the Touch hwbeta, for which I have to thank the SD &
> Logitech folks.  I assume that this is due to the number of SlimDevices
> I've purchased over the years (2 SB1s, 3 SB2s, 6 SB3s, 1 Transporter, 1
> Duet, 6 SBCs) rather than anyone at Logitech noticing this plugin or my
> ravings elsewhere on these forums.
>
> Re downloads for SrvrPowerCtrl: hard to say.  If you can believe
> http://code.google.com/p/srvrpowerctrl/downloads/list, then some 1,500
> folks have downloaded it since the end of June.  As far as SBS plugins
> go, I have no idea if that is a pathetically small number or not.

That's nice to know. I'm sure it has to do with your involvement as a
community developer.

Shame you do not have download numbers split by releases. However, I
ran a spreadsheet for fun.
- Let say a PC is on 16hr/day without srvPowerControl, 8 hrs off, and
10hrs on/14hrs sleeping with the plugin. Let's imagine the 8 hrs off
draw 0 current, which is totally wrong for most people: off is soft-off,
this mode draws as much as sleep/hibernate.
- If the PC draws 60W running (a conservative figure) and 15W
sleeping, each of us running the plugin on the server are saving 4.5kWh
per month. 18kWh June-to-Sept, 56kWh over a year. A financial gain of
$6.2 over the year, woohoo.
- Now, let say 1.500 downloads means 500 PCs/households using
srvPowerControl: this entire population will save over the year $3.100,
not quite enough for you to make a living --considering over a dozen
players and the house that comes with it :-)

More interestingly, the collective power savings would amount to 9GWh
over 4 months, 27GWh over the year.  Those 500 fine people would avoid
the emission of about 13.5 tons of CO2/yr (quite conservative figure of
500g/kWh delivered).  This is the equivalent of having planted +1100
trees on the 1st day of the year. 27GWh over a year is also the total,
yearly  electricity consumption of 2.5 US households (ahem.)

So, you may go in the woods chop up to 100 trees each month, in case
SBS|perl|users run you amok: you've earned that right.
I will contribute $2 to your bail, in case the judge doesn't understand
it that way :)

http://www.eia.doe.gov/cneaf/electricity/epm/epm_sum.html
http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/recs/recs2001/enduse2001/enduse2001.html
http://www.agirpourlenvironnement.org/pdf/contenuCO2longue.pdf (PDF, in