epoch1970;475715 Wrote:
> That's nice to know. I'm sure it has to do with your involvement as a
> community developer.
>
> Shame you do not have download numbers split by releases. However, I
> ran a spreadsheet for fun.
> - Let say a PC is on 16hr/day without srvPowerControl, 8 hrs off, and
> 10hrs on/14hrs sleeping with the plugin. Let's imagine the 8 hrs off
> draw 0 current, which is totally wrong for most people: off is soft-off,
> this mode draws as much as sleep/hibernate.
> - If the PC draws 60W running (a conservative figure) and 15W
> sleeping, each of us running the plugin on the server are saving 4.5kWh
> per month. 18kWh June-to-Sept, 56kWh over a year. A financial gain of
> $6.2 over the year, woohoo.
> - Now, let say 1.500 downloads means 500 PCs/households using
> srvPowerControl: this entire population will save over the year $3.100,
> not quite enough for you to make a living --considering over a dozen
> players and the house that comes with it :-)
>
> More interestingly, the collective power savings would amount to 9GWh
> over 4 months, 27GWh over the year.  Those 500 fine people would avoid
> the emission of about 13.5 tons of CO2/yr (quite conservative figure of
> 500g/kWh delivered).  This is the equivalent of having planted +1100
> trees on the 1st day of the year. 27GWh over a year is also the total,
> yearly  electricity consumption of 2.5 US households (ahem.)
>
> So, you may go in the woods chop up to 100 trees each month, in case
> SBS|perl|users run you amok: you've earned that right.
> I will contribute $2 to your bail, in case the judge doesn't understand
> it that way :)
>
> http://www.eia.doe.gov/cneaf/electricity/epm/epm_sum.html
> http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/recs/recs2001/enduse2001/enduse2001.html
> http://www.agirpourlenvironnement.org/pdf/contenuCO2longue.pdf (PDF, in
> french: CO2/electric kWh, FR)
> http://www.unep.org/billiontreecampaign/FactsFigures/FastFacts/index.asp
Yes, but all this virtue still can't earn me the right to buy a small,
high mileage, AWD, diesel, six-speed manual transmission automobile in
the US.  Can you believe that such an vehicle doesn't even exist over
here?  You folks have had them for years.  Switching to diesel and
eventually to bio-diesel is my best hope for reducing my personal carbon
footprint.  Given where I live, AWD is a must.  I'm not talking fancy
here.  A diesel Subaru would do nicely.

Re downloads not broken out by version: those 1500 downloads are all
for the June 20 version.  That's when it started keeping track.

--
gharris999