At 08:55 AM 1/21/99 -0500, you wrote:
>this is an old discussion, so I brought up my old answer. you've seen it
>before, but because I am holding the baby (baby says goo- i think that
>means hi) i will repost this.

Sorry Jeff, joking or not, you are just wrong about this.

Reading all these anti-line dance rants reminds me of our parents
(or grandparents, for some of you) who claimed that rock music was the
devil's music.  You're sounding like a bunch of narrow-minded
fuddy-duddies... Republican, even.

There are many forms of dance, and only a few of them involve cuddling
with your partner or flirting.  Those who define dance as only being
those dance forms that require a partner have a very limited (and
ignorant) view of dancing. Line dancing is similar to Broadway
choreography, but whether or not you dance on Broadway has no bearing
on the goodness or "badness" of line dance.  It's also similar to ethnic folk dance.
I suppose you think that those guys dancing in "Fiddler on
the Roof" aren't really dancing?!

If you don't see any individual expression/interpretation in line
dancing then you need to get out more, or else need to start paying
more attention. I'm sure there are some clubs where the dancers
perform like robots.  But most dancers who have progressed beyond
beginner's level tend to dance with "character."

>The truth about LineDancing

...Is that it became very popular with people who got tired of waiting
for partners to ask them to dance.  (What a bunch of lamers, those
"cowboys" bellied up to the bar!)

Lianne