The question that comes to my mind here is "underappreciated by what
people"?  I remember reading amazing reviews of "Can You Fly" when it
came out.  Paul Martin wrote an article in Musician that said it was one
of the best records he'd heard in fifteen years.  I don't know if it's
sold much, pbut it got regular airplay on WXRT in Chicago when it came
out.  The Sugar record sold something like 200,000 units and got quite a
bit of "modern rock" airplay.  As for the Pixies record, it was plenty
appreciated (and copied) by many bands over the past decade.

For the 1990's, these records seem underappreciated to me in that few
people bought, wrote, copied, hyped or talked about them much (even in
retrospect):

Graham Parker's _Struck By Lightning_ (RCA) and _Burning Questions_
(Capitol).  Parker was dropped by each label within weeks of each
album's release.  Neither record got airplay or sold any units, and both
feature wonderful songs.  Themes covered include Joe Meek's insanity,
consumer culture, being married and raising kids.  _Struck By Lightning_
has a higher twang quotient, with Cyndi Cashdollar playing Dobro on
several tracks.

Karl Hendricks Trio, _Declare Your Weapons_ (Merge).  The best hard rock
record released in 1998, though since Karl didn't tour (and the best
songs can't be played on the radio), few people talked about it.  Twang
content: minimal, though Brian Paulson produced the record.

Warren Zevon, _Mutineer_ (Giant).  Some of Zevon's most subtle writing
and singing is featured on a record few people know about.  Zevon once
said of the title track: "Dedicated to my fans, none of whom bought this
record".  David Lindley adds some nice slide guitar.

Holly Golightly, _Serial Girlfriend_ (Damaged Goods), as well as _The
Main Attraction_ & about dozen more cds, 10"s & singles.  Head
Headcoatee Holly Golightly makes the best garage rawk going these days,
but doesn't tour the States or get pushed to radio.  Her discs are
compilations of many brilliant singles, with _Serial Girlfriend_
including the awesome "I Can't Be Trusted" and an ace cover of Ike
Turner's "Your Love is Mine".  She is brilliant.

Victor Krummenacher's Great Laugh, _Out In the Heat_ (Magnetic).  After
Camper Van Beethoven broke up, bassist Krummenacher led the Monks of
Doom, and his inability to sing or write interesting songs in that band
turned me off.  I was happily shocked to find him writing top-notch
singer-songwriter fare that rocked.  This record received almost no
distribution, and the only people I know who own it are Camper fanatics.
 Shame, it's better than anything the Monks (or Cracker) put out.
Twang: fiddle by Mike Marshall, Dobro and pedal steel by Bruce Kaphan.

Carl Z.