Just for the heck of it, I thought I'd make up a list of criminally
underappreciated country and bluegrass albums of the '90s:

Petticoat Junction, Lonely Old Depot (1993, Pinecastle).  For my money, PJ
was the best of the all-girl bluegrass groups, and this - their last album -
shows why.  Andrea Roberts (now with Chicago's Special Consensus), Gail
Rudisill (now with Bill "I Get The Fever" Anderson), Gena Britt (now with
Lou Reid & Carolina) and banjoist Robin Roller had chops a-plenty, a couple
of very strong trio configurations, great lead singing and outstanding
material, including two beautiful Harley Allen tunes.

Herschel Sizemore, Back In Business (1993, Hay Holler).  Sizemore is one of
the great mandolin players; BIB's title reflected his return to bluegrass
after more than a decade of day-job-only life, but it shows that he didn't
miss a lick.  The supporting cast was likewise outstanding - Bobby Hicks,
banjo ace Craig Smith, Dale Perry on bass and David Parmley on guitar and
lead vocals.  7 instrumentals, including 3 originals (1 of them the best
version ever of Sizemore's "Rebecca") and world-class versions of "Grey
Eagle" and "Roanoke," plus 5 great vocals by Parmley.

Tracy Byrd, Tracy Byrd (1993, MCA).  I picked this up recently after
deciding I needed to have The Compleat Byrd, and it surprised the heck out
of me; I knew he was good, and that he had an affinity for hard country, but
I didn't know he was *this* good.  Hard country, some classic Texas swing
("Back In The Swing Of Things"), a great Kostas/Melba Montgomery-written
duet with Dawn Sears, a dandy cheating song ("Why"), "Talk To Me Texas,"
"Someone To Give My Love To" and more, with a crackerjack band that includes
the fabulous Weldon Myrick and Pig Robbins.  When Roy Huskey Jr.'s upright
bass kicks in on the very first tune, the album takes off and never lets up.

Dawn Sears, Nothin' But Good (1994, Decca).  *Really* criminally
underappreciated, especially by Decca, which dropped her almost right away.
Sears is a singer who can get soft, like on her own "Little Orphan Annie,"
loud, as on her killer take on "Close Up The Honky Tonks" (with backup
vocals by Patty Loveless (!)) and everywhere in between.  Her version of
"Planet Of Love" knocks Mandy Barnett's plumb out of the park, and the rest
of the material is up to that standard, coming from folks like Kim
Richey/Terry Burns, Dean Dillon/Hank Cochran, Vince Gill/Jim Weatherly and
more.

Lost & Found, A Ride Through The Country (1995, Rebel).  I know a few folks
appreciate this (so no protests from the listmeister, please), but not
nearly enough.  A collection of classic country songs done in the Lost &
Found's trademark laid-back style, it features the remarkably inventive
mandolin of Dempsey Young and some nifty and very untypically-bluegrass
banjo work from Lynwood Lunsford, as well as the dynamic lead vocal tag team
of Allen Mills and Barry Berrier.  Berrier, in particular, is simply one of
the best country singers around, and anyone who likes Merle Haggard, Dale
Watson, et.al. really owes it to him/herself to check this out.

Jon Weisberger  Kenton County, KY [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://home.fuse.net/jonweisberger/