Todd says:

>  But
> >given most people's busy schedules and abundant entertainment
> >choices, there's a good chance a lousy band (and it's not solely a
> >matter of chops or a lack thereof) *would* turn them off to roots
> >music for good. How many of us have gone back to a restaurant we
> >hated the first time around?
> >

> But did that stop you from going to restaurants altogether?  I
> really doubt that people go to see bands as representatives of a
> genre, as if the gig is a trial for a style of music, especially
> one as loosely defined as alt.country.  Seems more likely that they'd
> just write off the particular band -- it might not win them over,
> or get them to delve further into the
> genre, but I doubt that they'd carry a bias against the genre based on one
> of its practicioners...

If it discourages them from delving further into the genre, then as a
practical matter how's that different than a bias against the genre?  I
think Dave's restaurant analogy is actually a pretty decent one.  If there's
only one Chinese restaurant in town and it makes bad food, how many people
whose first taste of Chinese food is there are going to go further afield in
search of better?  Some will, but a fair number won't.  Whereas whether
someone's first taste of pizza is good or bad, chances are they're going to
get to taste it again, and from somewhere else (and maybe better), because
it's omnipresent.

Jon Weisberger, Kenton County, KY  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://home.fuse.net/jonweisberger