On Saturday 05 November 2011 22:40:03 Murray S. Kucherawy wrote:
> [...]

I think what is being forgotten here is that administrators have to cope with
a whole variety of software. The history of one narrow sphere (e.g.) mail is
being used to define an approach which does not think of the needs of
administrators who are pushing for software engineers to adopt uniform
approach across the whole spectrum.

Hence thoughtful engineers incorporate diagnostic parsers and html
configuration tools. IMHO postfix has been very slow to develop an apporocah
which places the needs of system administrators in the forefront of its
development strategy.

People make mistakes. Even the most experienced administrators. Administrators
are not primarily programmers. They look at configuration files. During a busy
day they do not want the hassle of having to ask themselves the question "What
do spaces do in this .config .cf file?" Good configuration files make their
formatting requirement obvious. That is why I say the use of " " is, in an
administrator's context, idiotic. It is idiotic because it demands that
adminstrator to ask himself/he
rself the question is this " " significant or insignificant. When there are
hundreds of " " in a file the luckless adminstrator has too much on his/her
plate when trying to fix a problem as quickly as possible.

I have been taking this list silently for years. Amonst a lot of genuinely
helpful contributions I have witnessed a regular splattering of  rudeness and
arrogance by some long standing contributors heaped on the heads of luckless
administrators trying to succesfully configure postfix.

The design of Postfix's configuration system and supporting documentation
represents the honest efforts of people who have a single point of focus
namely:

Making postfix work when it has been given the appropriate configuration data.

IMHO Postfix needs to add to its goals a determination to make configuration a
breeze rather than a challenge. That means diagnostic and corrective parsers
and or an html based configuration interface. Such facilities would cut down
the traffic on this list and stop a few people looking down their noses at
those who make a mistake.