On Sunday 06 November 2011 02:29:30 Reindl Harald wrote:
> Am 06.11.2011 10:22, schrieb David Southwell:
> > IMHO Postfix needs to add to its goals a determination to make
> > configuration a breeze rather than a challenge. That means diagnostic
> > and corrective parsers and or an html based configuration interface.
>
> so and now i will tell you that i have started with postfix in summer 2009
> at the same time as with dbmail and wrote a html-backend with database
> driven configuration and a lot of postfix-options most people never heard
> of within two months from scratch - that should show you that the
> documentation and logic can not be so bad

Agreed. It is possible to comprehend postfix's documentation given plenty of
time to concemntrate upon it. Unfortunately most administrators cannot give
that degree of attention to every piece of software. The fact that you were
willing to devote the time to that project does, I believe, evidence the need
for a more administrator friendly configuration tool.

I would love to experiemnt with your creation. Any chance of a copy?

> on the other hand i would never in my life use any web-interface not
> written by my own because they are mostly not as flexible as needed
> because it is impossible to do this with any graphical interface

I understand your reservations. It needs a lot of careful and independent
testing to bring such intiatives into common use.

Thanks

david