Am 06.11.2011 10:22, schrieb David Southwell:
> Hence thoughtful engineers incorporate diagnostic parsers and html
> configuration tools. IMHO postfix has been very slow to develop an apporocah
> which places the needs of system administrators in the forefront of its
> development strategy.

what exactly are you missing what cat, grep, more and tail can not do
with logfiles?

> People make mistakes. Even the most experienced administrators.
> Administrators
> are not primarily programmers. They look at configuration files. During a
> busy
> day they do not want the hassle of having to ask themselves the question
> "What
> do spaces do in this .config .cf file?"

please speak for you and not for "the admininstrators"

> Good configuration files make their  formatting requirement obvious.
> That is why I say the use of " " is, in an administrator's context, idiotic.

i would call idiotic a beginner who is to lazy to learn

> It is idiotic because it demands that adminstrator to ask himself/he
> rself the question is this " " significant or insignificant. When there are
> hundreds of " " in a file the luckless adminstrator has too much on his/her
> plate when trying to fix a problem as quickly as possible.

bullshit if <ou have any problem to see with one look what
the spaces on the following config-snippet are doing you
should stop to play administrator because you are the wrong
person in th wrong job

you can write this all in ONE LINE if you want and the space was
invited to make it more readable

proxy_read_maps = proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-mynetworks.cf
 proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-mydestination.cf
 proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-recipients.cf
 proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-rewritedomains.cf
 proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-rewritesenders.cf
 proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-transport.cf
 proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-sender_relay_hosts.cf
 proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-sender_relay_hosts_auth.cf
 proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-aliases.cf
 proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-senderaccess.cf
 proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-spamfilter.cf
 proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-forwarders.cf

smtpd_helo_restrictions = permit_mynetworks
 permit_sasl_authenticated
 reject_non_fqdn_helo_hostname
 reject_invalid_helo_hostname
 reject_unknown_helo_hostname

smtpd_recipient_restrictions =
 permit_mynetworks
 reject_non_fqdn_recipient
 reject_non_fqdn_sender
 reject_unlisted_sender
 reject_authenticated_sender_login_mismatch
 permit_sasl_authenticated
 reject_unknown_sender_domain
 reject_unknown_recipient_domain
 reject_unauth_destination
 reject_unknown_reverse_client_hostname
 reject_invalid_hostname
 reject_unauth_pipelining
 check_recipient_access proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-spamfilter.cf