On 02/14/2017 11:17 PM, Viktor Dukhovni wrote:

On Feb 15, 2017, at 2:10 AM, Henry <der...@gmail.com> wrote:

When I send a message to Gmail I am informed that it could not be
authenticated and will probably end in the spam folder.

This is largely misinformation.  Sites that send bulk mail that might
get classified as junk may benefit from DKIM signing and SPF records
provided they also enroll in some kind of whitelisting program that
requires such measures.

Otherwise, since both DKIM and SPF are used as much by spammers as
by non-spammers, there is no hard requirement to use these.  My
domain does not use either.

"Authentication" in the context of sending mail means either or both
of DKIM or SPF.

I use both DKIM and SPF and it does not stop my messages from being sorted into spam.

When my domain was new, frequently I found myself needing to request removal from blacklists.

The more it ages, the less often I needed to. Now it usually only happens when I start sending from an IP address I haven't sent from before.

White-lists I find to be useless, I use them myself but all the white lists I looked at required some kind of payment and that seemed like a waste of money because there is no guarantee other mail servers use them.

What I wish is that when a domain has been sending mail for over a year with DKIM and is not regarded as a spammer, that DKIM validated by DNSSEC would be enough to avoid automatic spam filters. Spammers who use DKIM can get their domain black-listed so a domain that is both aged w/o being a spammer *and* uses SPF/DKIM should not be filtered into junk.

It seems though that the vast majority of junk filters are largely IP address based rather than history of the sending domain. And that unfortunately causes problems when sending from a new IP address, even when SPF and DKIM are set up correctly.