On 02/15/2017 12:32 AM, Dominic Raferd wrote:
On 15 February 2017 at 07:58, Richard James Salts
<post...@spectralmud.org> wrote:

On 15 February 2017 6:47:31 PM AEDT, Viktor Dukhovni
<postfix-us...@dukhovni.org> wrote:

Please do not encourage novice users to configure DMARC.  This does
much
more harm than good.  DMARC is legitimately for the few likePayPal,
abusively
for too big to fail like Yahoo

Viktor, off topic perhaps but I am interested in your downer on DMARC.
As I understand it, the point of DMARC is to prevent others from
sending fake mails that purport to come from 'me' or 'my' domain. I am
responsible for a few low-volume domains but this has happened to us,
as it probably has to most others. The global email system surely
needs a way to verify that emails are really from the purported sender
and that they have not been altered on their way to their intended
recipient, and DMARC (with DKIM, and not using p=none) offers this.
Are there better alternatives?

I'm not Viktor but I'll answer.

I run DMARC on one domain just as a test and find it useless. The problem is mail lists, a lot of mail lists don't handle things correctly resulting in one message to a list resulting in a ton of failure reports.

For me, DMARC is one of those things that sounds good but in practice doesn't really work.

Now PayPal - they usually don't send to mail lists so the problem I experience may not exist for them, but for me, it seems useless. Way way way too many false positives caused my mail lists.

I do run SPIF and DKIM however. The thought is that if someone is sending fraudulent mail on behalf of my domain, failing those will increase the odds that it gets flagged by spam filters.

I don't know how often that happens, it seems very rare that someone sends a message claiming to be from my domain and when they do, it usually is from my domain to my domain and it does get caught (e.g. fake mail from sales@whatever to admin@whatever or vice versa) by my spam filters. DMARC isn't needed to catch those though.