On 15 February 2017 8:34:55 PM AEDT, Viktor Dukhovni
<postfix-us...@dukhovni.org> wrote:

>> On Feb 15, 2017, at 4:27 AM, Henry <der...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> With this being the case what is the point of using SSL certificates
>> for sending?
>
>I repeat myself.  Typically none.  They largely only cause some harm.
>
>> There is a long discussion on using is here however I am
>> not unsure of the purpose.
>
>Certificates on mail servers are for inbound email.  Only very rarely
>are
>they an alternative to SASL authentication for submission.

I think some defense contractors also use certificates for mutual
authentication for classified emails with a big administrative overhead for
distributing fingerprints to other organisations and client support to indicate
that a message can't be sent over unauthenticated SMTP conversations.