On Friday, January 17, 2020 at 11:01:05 PM UTC, Elliot Killick wrote:

> On 2020-01-15 01:36, shiftedreality wrote:
>
> > You pointed me in the right direction. I was using Debian 10 as my
> default
> > Qubes template.
> Debian 10 is supposed to be supported as a template. I didn't realize
> the Debian 10 template qube didn't come with cURL. Bug fixed, thanks for
> catching that.

On my nth install of Qubes...and learning the hard way about passing
informal scripts to others... :)

A reminder if using the standard lvm config : the cloning of VMs/templates
only ends up using additional storage for the *divergence* of each from the
other(s).

So, I'd recommend, if scripting for others: keep a pristine un-updated copy
of the target template(s) to test scripts against. Even better would be a
pristine copy and an "up-to-date but not customized" copy. E.g.

debian-10 <- installed by qubes, developer *disables* automatic update
reminders and does not update (frozen)
debian-10-up-to-date <- cloned by developer, not customized, only ever
apply updates
debian-10-custom <- cloned by developer, apply customizations (e.g.
apt-install stuff), apply updates. For day to day use with your VMs.

That way one can (without having to remove and recreate templates via dom0
salt, dnf invocations, etc) test your scripts against baseline expectations
of other users.

Brendan