Sierra wrenches,

            My 30 years of installation has never included comm sites on mountain tops but I took the job.....

I am proposing mounting PVs vertically towards the top of the south wall of a 2 story block building to avoid snow build-up.  I assume a pole-mount would be next in line if we needed more sq ft of PV.  However, even if vertical, will Sierra snow (its a special breed) still wind-pack on, stay for weeks, days, not at all?  This site is on the Pacific crest at 7,000 ft.

            And then  due to potential temps down to -30F, I assume a WELL insulated battery box (maybe even back-up heat?). It seems the best choice would be to use AGM/VRLA/Gel?    Part my reason for looking for help is my customer's loads will only be 12 volt and wants to avoid the cost of an inverter.  This seems a little risky not to have an inverter/charger for back-up. Appreciate the advice.

Bill

Feather River Solar Electric
Bill Battagin, Owner
4291 Nelson St.