On 10-Apr-11, at 2:39 PM, Stephanie Das Gupta wrote:

If women keep aborting, abandoning, and killing their girl children, where will that leave the population? And the boy children who these mothers are so adamant to save, who will take care of them? Who will they marry? Will the men take care of the children, cook, clean and do what the world sees as "the women's work"?

I have a depressing prediction. Over an extended period, the reduced supply of suitable brides will cause the roles to be reversed and girls will become a more precious commodity than boys. Until that happens, the attitude of Indian men toward women will become more desperate and ugly due to sexual frustration and a paucity of healthy pre-marital socialization with women outside their families. Unrealistic expectations set by TV and movies will make it worse.

Of course, I really hope I'm proven wrong.

-Taj.