----- Original Message -----
From: "Garnet" <garnetri...@earthlink.net>
To: "Silver List" <silver-list@eskimo.com>
Sent: Friday, October 22, 2004 9:42 AM
Subject: Re: CS> Was - Pulsed Electromagnetic; Is - Diet for dogs and humans

> > 2) Steaming the broccoli first destroys the component that lowers thyroid
> > function. Throwing out the water in which the broccoli was lightly cooked
gets
> > rid of that component. So sometimes, especially during colder weather, I
heat
> > the broccoli first.

> Do you happen to have documentation on what that component is and at
> what temperature it is destroyed, because I have never run across this
> information in all the years that I have been dealing with feeding my
> pets, including many reptiles whose veggies I steamed before freezing in
> cubes.
>
> I was told absolutely not to feed reptiles broccoli in any form so I am
> wondering if some of the herpetologists are misinformed? Does not mean
> your information is not correct, but I hope you understand that I would
> like to confirm it -- since impacting the thyroid is such a dangerous
> thing, hard to measure and hard to track down. Been there and done that
> in a hypothyroid dog and horse breeds.
>
> How much do you steam it? Is it still somewhat crisp in the middle or
> totally soft? I love broccoli lightly steamed myself but find that I
> seem to only want it occasionally, instinct?

My memory is that the info that steaming or boiling broccoli eliminates the
thyroid-suppressing component was from either the Weston Price folks or
nutritionist Anne Marie Colbin.

However, your question spurred me to do a search on the internet and I found
something that I'd never seen. From
http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=george&dbid=47  :

"Cruciferous vegetables including:
    Broccoli
    Brussel sprouts
    Cabbage
    Cauliflower
    Kale
    Kohlrabi
    Mustard
    Rutabaga
    Turnips

[Other foods containing goitrogenic substances:]
    Millet
    Peaches
    Peanuts
    Radishes
    Soybean and soy products, including tofu
    Spinach
    Strawberries"

"Because carefully controlled research studies have yet to take place on the
relationship between goitrogenic foods and thyroid hormone deficiency,
healthcare practitioners differ greatly on their perspectives as to whether a
person who has thyroid problems, and notably a thyroid hormone deficiency,
should limit their intake of goitrogenic foods. Most practitioners use words
like "overconsumption" or "excessive" to describe the kind of goitrogen intake
that would be a problem for individuals with thyroid hormone deficiency. Here
the goal is not to eliminate goitrogenic foods from the meal plan, but to limit
intake so that it falls into a reasonable range."

"The effect of cooking on goitrogens
Although research studies are limited in this area, cooking does appear to help
inactivate the goitrogenic compounds found in food. Both isoflavones (found in
soy foods) and isothiocyanates (found in cruciferous vegetables) appear to be
heat-sensitive, and cooking appears to lower the availability of these
substances. In the case of isothiocyanates in cruciferous vegetables like
broccoli, as much as one third of this goitrogenic substance may be deactivated
when broccoli is boiled in water."

References are on the website.

> I used broccoli once to get a cockatiel over addiction to millet, which
> he has started demanding in exclusion to all other food. I was told to
> feed only broccoli until he would eat regular seed again and to never
> feed millet sprays or mixes with millet unless it was in a pellet where
> they could not pick out just the millet.

Interesting that the above site says that millet contains similar substances to
broccoli! I have no idea whether or not it's really true.

> Broccoli is loaded with minerals and Vit C so it is a very good food,
> fed in balance. Dark greens are loaded with minerals, but leafy greens
> are not the same as broccoli, to my knowledge they are not thyrogenic.

Well, the above site mentions kale, which is a leafy green.

There's always going to be something that someone can't eat because of some
condition. Nightshades make me really ill, so I'd rather have steamed or sauteed
broccoli. To support my thyroid, I take some supplements from Wellness Resources
plus "atomic" (colloidal) iodine made according to Edgar Cayce's specifications.
I find that the iodine is one of the major staples of my supplement regime; it's
critical for all kinds of functions, not just for the thyroid -- it's also
highly germicidal! In fact, I've given an entire section on my website to
thyroid function (and tell people where they can order the iodine).

> But the stomach contents, while raw have already been subjected to quite
> an array of digestive enzymes in the mouth and stomach, so it is not at
> all in a fresh raw state, besides I don't know of any wild animals that
> ingest thyrogenic veggies. This is not a logical comparison to feeding
> raw broccoli a lot, although it does support the need dogs have for
> leafy greens. Perhaps you are just pointing out their natural need for
> greens.

Yes, I was indeed "pointing out their natural need for greens." Also, since dogs
are domesticated, there's variation in what they need. Some dogs actually do
better on somewhat cooked food!

> Presently I use a lot of fresh herbs that I grow with seaweed and bat
> guano fertilizers to increase their mineral contents and make them dark
> green. I eat some almost every day from my container gardens on the
> patio, but in small amounts and I vary which ones I eat, except perhaps
> for parsely, I can eat that in almost anything and love the flavor. The
> dogs can free range but I only noticed my older dog eating them daily.
> The younger dogs don't seem interested. I do have two cats that will
> nibble the lemon grass!

Soon I will be in a situation where I can have a vegetable garden if I want. I
may call on your expertise then  ;-)

Best,
Nenah

Nenah Sylver, PhD
See my brand new user-friendly website! http://www.nenahsylver.com
Get Transfer Factor for immunity at Wholesale prices.
Also: THE HOLISTIC HANDBOOK OF SAUNA THERAPY
Sweating is a powerful detox!