Hi Nenah,

This is really interesting -- thanks so much for doing the search!

On Sun, 2004-10-24 at 05:01, Nenah Sylver wrote:

> However, your question spurred me to do a search on the internet and I found
> something that I'd never seen. From
> http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=george&dbid=47  :
>
> "Cruciferous vegetables including:
>     Broccoli
>     Brussel sprouts
>     Cabbage
>     Cauliflower
>     Kale
>     Kohlrabi
>     Mustard
>     Rutabaga
>     Turnips
>
> [Other foods containing goitrogenic substances:]
>     Millet
>     Peaches
>     Peanuts
>     Radishes
>     Soybean and soy products, including tofu
>     Spinach
>     Strawberries"
>

> "Because carefully controlled research studies have yet to take place on the
> relationship between goitrogenic foods and thyroid hormone deficiency,
> healthcare practitioners differ greatly on their perspectives as to whether a
> person who has thyroid problems, and notably a thyroid hormone deficiency,
> should limit their intake of goitrogenic foods.

This is so true of all thyroid info -- I was tested a few years back for
Wilson's Syndrome. Looking for a consensus of opinons on this was a real
journey. I was on a Thyroid list for a while, the stories there were
amazing, confusing and enlightening.

> "The effect of cooking on goitrogens
> Although research studies are limited in this area, cooking does appear to
> help
> inactivate the goitrogenic compounds found in food. Both isoflavones (found in
> soy foods) and isothiocyanates (found in cruciferous vegetables) appear to be
> heat-sensitive, and cooking appears to lower the availability of these
> substances. In the case of isothiocyanates in cruciferous vegetables like
> broccoli, as much as one third of this goitrogenic substance may be
> deactivated
> when broccoli is boiled in water."

Thanks so much for this great info. I have heard that too much soy is
not good, and isothiocyanates do ring a bell.

So boiling in water helps, I wonder for how long? I love lightly steamed
broccoli with lemon juice, but I don't seem to want it more than once
every couple of weeks.

> Interesting that the above site says that millet contains similar substances
> broccoli! I have no idea whether or not it's really true.

That is interesting!

> > Broccoli is loaded with minerals and Vit C so it is a very good food,
> > fed in balance. Dark greens are loaded with minerals, but leafy greens
> > are not the same as broccoli, to my knowledge they are not thyrogenic.
>

> Well, the above site mentions kale, which is a leafy green.

I did not know this, but I wondered about all of the cruciferous
veggies. Just never heard any other warnings. My daughter, who is the
herpetologist just told me that you are not to feed them any cruciferous
at all -- partially because they can not pass gas, so sulfurous veggies
are not good for them. Guess mice are ok for snakes and lizards though,
as that is mainly what she feeds hers, well and non-sulfurous veggies
for those that like them.

> There's always going to be something that someone can't eat because of some
> condition. Nightshades make me really ill, so I'd rather have steamed or
> sauteed
> broccoli. To support my thyroid, I take some supplements from Wellness
> Resources
> plus "atomic" (colloidal) iodine made according to Edgar Cayce's
> specifications.
> I find that the iodine is one of the major staples of my supplement regime;
> it's
> critical for all kinds of functions, not just for the thyroid -- it's also
> highly germicidal! In fact, I've given an entire section on my website to
> thyroid function (and tell people where they can order the iodine).

Isn't that the truth! I try to avoid eating the same foods every day.

Colloidal Iodine sounds interesting. I wonder if you can make it
yourself? Do you have any pages bookmarked about it? They use iodine to
prep surgical sites, 1% is all it takes. In the past I have used
Betadine Solution to clear fungal skin infections in horses and dogs.

> Soon I will be in a situation where I can have a vegetable garden if I want. I
> may call on your expertise then  ;-)

Absolutely Nenah, but I would encourage you to start just a few clay
pots if you have any space that gets 6 hours or more of sun a day.

Garnet