I was wondering about that. I had some cast iron pans I washed with soap (well liquid dish detergent) and it ruined them. could never get the soapy taste out of them, it transferred right into foods ever after, or certainly longer than I was willing to put up with. Maybe Richard's mother used real soap, and not detergent? My current cast iron fry pans and dutch oven get scrubbed with hot water and salt or cornmeal, and rinsed, and perhaps re-seasoned every few years.
sol

Ode Coyote wrote:

 She washed her cast iron with soap?

NEVER!  Well, maybe a pot, then wipe it down with oil, but never a fry pan
or griddle.

Ode