That was a concern for me with enamel pans too. They also get quite large chips, and I wondered if the edges and cracks of those chips would not be continually fracturing off tiny shards of glass. Plus at the point they are cracked or chipped I assume the metal underneath (what is it?) would be leaching. Le Creuset was mentioned, but all I have seen in that for years is teflon coated. Perhaps anodized aluminum is the way to go? Aluminum despite concerns in recent decades was at one time thought to be a "pass through" metal, anything leached into food was just excreted. Plus, as Ken said, aluminum is not avoidable as it is one of the most common metals on earth. I do have some SS pans with the "rainbow", so I would really like to know if it in fact does mean the metal is leaching more than it would otherwise------and since I am allergic to nickel, am wondering if I am getting enough to be a problem that might possibly be making all my other health issues worse. Trying to reconstruct when exactly I went to SS pans.......never thought I'd need to remember that, god what I'd give for a functioning memory!
sol

Tony Moody wrote:

I feel much happer using SS than enamel ware. The enamel develops tiny cracks in which germs lurk i am sure and also those tiny chips of glass have to go into the food. Right? Stainless steel in general does not lose surface unless abraded, so be gentle with it. I would guess that more nickel/chrome comes off the edge of knife and ends of fork tines than is 'cooked' off into the food in a stainless pot. Why not 'silver plate' the inside of your SS ware after cleaning it. Any methods out there?

Tony