The rainbow effect is due to heating.  When drawing the temper on any
steel, the color of the rainbow can be used to determine the temperature of
the draw starting with a straw or golden color and going to purple.  With a
uniform temperature , you get solid colors. Stove top heating isn't
uniform.  The effect shows up better on stainless due to a better contrast.
 Artists in my neighborhood who make stainless steel sculptures use that
effect to color their work.  Solid colors are done in a big oven, while non
solid colors are done with a torch and look like they were painted on.
 The coloring does not affect the integrity of the steel though some
oxidation of the surface is likely.
Were it a high carbon heat treatable steel that had been heated to critical
and quenched to harden it, the purple areas would be drawn softer than the
golden areas.

 Iron is not generally a health problem. In most of it's forms, it's not
very bioavailable. The well water around here is sometimes brown with iron
and has caused no problems in all the hundreds of years of people drinking
it ...except for staining the laundry and sinks etc and tasting nasty.

 Various compounds of chromium as found in chrome plating baths can be very
poisonous but the chromium in stainless steel is locked up in the iron
really well and not likely to make those compounds.
 Both nickle and chromium are highly resistant to making spontaneous
compounds which is why they are used to make stainless steel stainless and
plated over steel to prevent corrosion.

Ode