On 2009-12-17, at 08:37, Tigro Spottystripes wrote:
> But the limits should only be enforced when necessary, if there is a
> bunch of scripts in a 4x4 parcel and nothing else int he rest of the
> sim
> those scripts can use up all the sim script memory, if an avatar comes
> in, then the avaiablememory is divided between the parcel and the
> avatar, things like that

THe scaled overcommitment scheme I suggested over a year ago would
work well for this:

If the sim as a whole is over 75% of the limit, all parcels would be
restricted to strict limits.

Below that, scale it so that (for example) 50% of the sim could have
up to 80% of the limit, 25% of the sim could have up to 60% of the
limit, 12.5% could have 40%, and so on. The actual numbers would have
to be tuned, but this would allow you to have a party on your 512 in
an otherwise empty sim without blowing the parcel limits with the
dance balls, and without allowing a DOS.

You'd be able to tell if your parcel was over the soft limit, so you
could keep from having your pet dog frozen if someone else pushed the
sim over 75%.
http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/SLDev