I'll be honest.  I just really don't like the dynamic resource limits idea.
It is very neat and interesting in theory, and fun to design and discuss.
However I see a lot of value in knowing all my content will continue to work
and knowing what content I can use - In knowing that when I buy/rent/lease
land as part of that I am buying/renting/leasing a specific amount of
resources.  I hate the idea of *any* of my content only sometimes working.

I place a high value on simplicity.  I want to trivially understand where I
am, how much headroom I have, how close I am to what limits there are.  I
don't want to code complex solutions with multiple behaviors based on the
state of the region.  And yes, I know people already do this by monitoring
sim stats but it would be awesome if they didn't need to.  "normal"
residents also need to understand these limits and be able to see where they
are.  These limits will effect *everyone*, even if all you do is rent a
house and buy content to furnish it.  You will need to know what will and
won't work and buying something that will sometimes work no matter what the
reasons is just going to be a nightmare.  If I buy a fish tank it needs to
always work and always have fish and not have fish that sleep or disappear
when my neighbors decide it is chicken shooting time.

That said, I also understand the usage issues here, which mirror closely the
more generic web hosting problems.  Resource usage patterns aren't equal or
consistent over time or space, this is obvious and known and is NOT
something we are ignoring.  The general solution for web hosting is to
over-sell, rely on some rules of averages and be able to move things around
to accommodate users.  Doing something similar is certainly a possibility,
and one I have pushed for.  It isn't as trivial as just setting higher
numbers - we need to adjust and fix our infrastructure to more optimally
assign regions to hosts - but it is certainly not impossible, and indeed
such infrastructure changes would benefit everyone regardless.

Dynamic resource limits are just complicated by nature.  They are fluid in
some respect, and they change based on time and usage - that is just what it
means.  Unfortunately it is that nature that makes it hard to plan around
and hard to build content for and hard to understand.  The system we use
needs to be as easy as prim limits are now, where you can see the cost of an
object and you can see how much you can support.

 - Kelly