In the latest years I've focused on game developmet pipeline, and I have to
say that is it really interesting world

Games like The Last of Us, Shadow of the colossus and The Witcher 2 really
impressed me and I started to do my own stuff with the game engines
available

Overall right now you have all the tools to create a game, and most of them
are free

Cryengine right now, beside the Frostbyte engine ( Battlefield 4 ) is one
of the advanced engine I've ever seen, its damn impressive and the way its
build allows you to quickly put all your stuff in the engine and test
everything in a relative short amount of time. Unfortunately, due to the
impossibility right now to export a rigged character from Softimage to
Cryengine I almost gave up with it, hopefully FBX import will be available.

With UDK I'm really familiar and, even if its a bit old style, the features
and the documentation behind it allows you to build an entire world, even
without scripting you're able to do amazing stuff. I also applied a bit ago
for the Cryengine Cinebox, but since then seems that they wont allow anyone
to use it, so for my short movie I switched directly to UDK. Its powerfull,
thousands of games are made with it and the community is really strong, so
if you need help you'll get a fast response and there are literally
thousands of tutorial both on youtube and for sale. I've made a couple of
tutorials for UDK, especially the export from Softimage using Species, and
soon I hope to show my tech demo which will feature mostly stuff that can
be achievable by combining Softimage and UDK.

Unity has become really popular, especially for indie developers, because
of the small price and for the huge community behind, also because you have
access to the entire engine, so you can do whatever you want. I've played
around with it, but since I'm going towards a more powerfull engine
personally I'm using it only for prototyping, and its quite good. It lacks
the powerfull graphical power of the other engines, but its really
versatile and overall its growing very very fast.
Don't forget that lots of companies are betting on it, especially Maximo
which allows you to buy lots of stuff to build your game. With Mechanim and
all the other features they really improved this engine, so the future
looks very promising.

Overall those game engines are showing what could be achieved in a game,
both with gameplay and storytelling, and I have to say I'm really impressed
by all this