Hi Perry,

Email is not the best way to express anything. I have spoken to many of you
live in the past few months and you can interpret words in so many ways. For
those that want to make this a conspiracy leading back to the acquisition you
are wrong. Marc Petit did believe in having all the products under one roof.
Like I said yesterday we spent a lot of money making sure that Softimage got
plugged into the Autodesk channel and education engines and we put the product
in the suites to try to get more usage from the big 3dsmax and Maya user base.
There is all this talk of marketing. Everyone these days makes their buying
decisions based off their peers from information in forums like this. Marketing
isn't about press releases and web sites as nobody visits autodesk.com. With
tens of thousands of kids graduating each year from professional programs each
year most pick their 3D tool of choice or arsenal by the time they are 18-19
and they can do 3d, edit, comp, and make web sites. So we tried to get more
usage for softimage through suites and education and it did not work. All the
marketing and demos for Autodesk the last few years has been around suites just
like with Adobe who rarely markets Photoshop or After Effects.

If you feel like that strategy is the main cause of the continued decline of
Softimage then that is fair. Avid did not have the money to compete with
Autodesk and according to Marc Stevens sold it after Marc said there was no
chance of Soft lasting. The other mystery buyers were other CAD companies that
wanted to have a product to compete with 3dsmax and Cinema 4D in the massive
visualization market. Autodesk was the only buyer that wanted to keep Softimage
alive in entertainment.

So the clear announcement of change of intent was made this month based off a
decision only made a few months ago. We gave a two year window to transition
and for many a fair offer to go to 3dsmax or Maya. Our strategy to get soft
adoption in the much larger 3dsmax and Maya user base was through suites and
education and it did not work. We are sorry it did not work.

I have listened to many of the personal stories of how this affects people.
Like the story you had with your father I have a story about mine. My father
ran a pharmaceutical research company and when I was a kid the workers in the
plant went on strike for higher pay. They picketed in front of the plant and
when things got more tense someone came to our house in the middle of the night
and through a big rock right through the window next to my room where me and
brother would play legos all day. Being six years old you can imagine that was
some pretty scary shit. But my dad took me aside and told me that you have to
take responsibility for the actions you take and how they affect people.

We can say sorry but that will not change the decision and it rings hollow
because it could be a monkey typing on a keyboard. What we can do is listen to
how this has impacted you and be responsible for helping you get back to a
place where each of you are back to creating 3D art without thinking about the
platform you use.

I have been very happy to meet a lot of you on this forum for the first time
which sucks but is still a good thing. The calls that I have more than make up
for being called a liar or an idiot or a callous corporate suit.

cv/