Hold on Marco,
There have been plenty of game engine dedicated plugins, including Valve
Source engine, Cryengine from Crytek and Unreal Engine Development Kit and
I used them quite extensively...
3ds Max was the "king" of game engine preferred software, but most of them
switch to Maya :-D

Anyway yes I agree...sometimes I think that Maya was created to test people
patience...has been 4-5 months since I did the switch and I'm still
fighting for some stupid stuff which required one button in
Softimage...especially regarding modeling...jesus...incredibly painfull