It's not Maya's fault. It's how the render manager, in this case Royal, has
its options set.

There is something bad about Maya and certain read/write operations over
network, but I don't think this is that.

Unless you're trying to render on Windows render nodes to a Linux or OS X
server running a bad SMB stack.

In which case you might as well be in the Sarlacc Pit.